Thursday 4 August 2011

First Bright Hub payment!

I just received my first payment from Bright Hub, for a grand total of $15.02.  Okay, so it's not a fortune, but I've only been a Bright Hub member for two weeks.

The $15 is for the one article that I've published so far, How Calculus is Used in Astronomy.
The $0.02 is revenue sharing for the one day that the article existed for during July (I published it on July 30th).

Verdict?  Bright Hub seems like a great place for writing about science, health, business or technology subjects.

What I like about Bright Hub:
  • Upfront payments of $15 per article, plus ongoing revenue sharing.
  • Bright Hub suggest titles of articles based on what people are searching for in google: basically, they do the hardest part of making money through content - keyword research - and leave you to get on with writing.
  • Supportive and relatively speedy editing process. My article was published two days after submission, with only minor changes required (moving an image and fixing a hyperlink).
  • Bright Hub encourages you to write under your own name, which means it's a good place to build up a portfolio of work.
What I don't like about Bright Hub:
  • Their behind-the-scenes site is complicated, confusing and difficult to navigate. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but I can't help feeling it would be improved by being simplified.
  • The options for laying out your article aren't great either. You can't resize images or add captions, or create floating text boxes for key information.
  • Because Bright Hub has quality standards, I feel as though I have to make each article perfect. For the time I spend creating an article, $15 is a poor rate of pay. The compensations for this are:
    1. I'll probably get quicker with practice.
    2. Article continues to pay out once its published, without me doing anything more.
    3. The fact that I had to answer to an editor is actually a good thing when it comes to using Bright Hub articles to apply for further work. Anyone can self-publish an article, but to have an editor approve your work as worthy of payment shows some writing ability.
I will definitely continue to write for Bright Hub.

Have you written for Bright Hub? Share your experience in a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment